The decision to quit smoking is stressful for a person. Everything that happens to the body after quitting smoking is manifested by severe symptoms of all internal organs. Such changes can scare anyone. The first few days without nicotine are especially difficult, when a withdrawal syndrome develops in response to the absence of usual doping.
A smoker's diary can help the patient to cope with the situation, in which the addict himself describes in detail everything that happens to him in dynamics, understanding cause and effect.
Pros and cons of quitting smoking
Nature is so wise that it has given a person the possibility of compensatory recovery after illness, injury, stress. The regenerative potential of each is very high. Therefore, quitting smoking should be sure that, on their own or with the help of experts, they can get rid of a bad habit, regardless of the duration of the addiction to tobacco smoke and the severity of the damage to Organs internal organs. The important thing is to want to do it.
Complete rejection of tobacco significantly reduces the risk of numerous diseases: bronchitis, tracheitis, laryngitis, pneumonia, asthma, pneumonia, destructive pathologies of the bronchi. Varicose veins, thrombophlebitis, endarteritis obliterans, diabetic foot will recede. Cholesterol levels are normalized, along with this the development of atherosclerosis of the large arteries that feed the brain and heart, kidneys and liver will decrease.
This will help prevent heart attacks and strokes.
Tobacco smoke is a powerful intoxicant. Purifying organs and tissues of their metabolites will allow the body to begin the process of self-healing. Clean blood flow will fill cells with nutrients and oxygen, which will relieve headaches, fatigue, irritability and balance blood pressure. As there are about 90 carcinogens in cigarettes, blocking and removing them will become cancer prevention.
Surprisingly, such changes will start in the first few hours without nicotine. Your tracking reaction will still be there for some time, but for someone in a week, for someone in a month, it will disappear without a trace. More difficult with psychological attachment to the pleasure of nightshade poison.
Stress must be dealt with consistently and wisely. You cannot neglect anti-smoking drugs, you need to organize rest, interesting leisure. Sometimes it's good to put your feelings on paper.
It's so nice to know that you "won" a trip or a trip to the theater by giving up on buying tobacco products. Saving can be very useful.
It should be understood that it is very difficult to separate from belladonna alkaloid due to the following points:
- Pyridine poison increases emotional background, which in turn helps you focus in difficult situations.
- The joy hormone produced in response to nicotine intake relieves stress, helps to survive grief.
- Nightshade alkaloid creates the illusion of peace, gives self-confidence, causes moral satisfaction.
Such positive effects are hard to forget, even harder to get rid of.
Acetylcholine receptors, accustomed to tobacco poison, demand its presence. In protest, they trigger the withdrawal syndrome. If at the beginning of smoking the pleasure of a cigarette lasted a few hours, over time this emotional upsurge lasts for half an hour. So, you need to increase the amount of doping.
Otherwise, the feeling of discomfort will significantly outweigh the euphoria in strength and sharpness.
An abrupt goodbye with a cigarette makes the discomfort unbearable. This is a real break. It is necessary to somehow compensate for the deficiency of nicotinic acid, a metabolite of tobacco poison, otherwise it is impossible to deal with irritability, which turns into aggression.
In addition there are:
- Loss of attention.
- Craving for tobacco products.
- An intense feeling of hunger.
- Inability to sleep.
Only a specialist can help stop the withdrawal syndrome.
The body's reaction to gradual and abrupt cessation of tobacco products
Every person is different, as is their decision to stop smoking. Some prefer it right away, others need time. The body reacts differently to the method chosen to quit smoking.
If we are talking about a chronic user of the belladonna alkaloid, saying goodbye to nicotine will not work quickly, it will be a slow and painful process. A beginning tobacco lover has a chance to simply stop communicating with cigarettes, his self-healing system will handle it.
However, most often the reaction to the absence of habitual doping is manifested by the withdrawal or withdrawal syndrome.
In fact, it involves a restructuring of the entire organism, accompanied by:
- Strong craving for tobacco.
- Irrational nervousness.
- Conditions close to fainting.
- Loss of strength.
- Minor mood.
- Anxiety with the development of phobias.
- Skin rashes.
- Aphthous lesions of the oral mucosa.
- Constant discomfort of the upper respiratory tract: shortness of breath, cough, perspiration, rhinorrhea, tearing.
- Disorder of the digestive system up to colic.
Each of these symptoms can appear individually or as part of several disorders at the same time. The severity of symptoms varies from person to person.
Sometimes there is no abstinence.
The process of releasing nicotine metabolites is complex, but it starts from the first minutes of smoking cessation, going through a series of steps.
|failure time||body changes|
|Half an hour||The tachycardia passes, blood pressure begins to normalize, the kidneys work harder, preparing to remove toxins.|
|a couple of hours||The kidneys remove pyridine poison metabolites from the blood.|
|noon||The blood is saturated with oxygen, carbon monoxide is removed from the lungs. The kidneys continue to remove nicotine and a withdrawal symptom develops.|
|Day||The belladonna alkaloid is completely removed, there is no substitute for it, and withdrawal occurs.|
|In a few days||The lungs begin to clear the tar and toxins from the cigarette. Cough appears - a natural reaction to accumulated soot.|
|On the third day||Lung cleaning continues. A strong feeling of hunger develops once the tobacco poison ceases to block the brain's satiety center and is restored, causing a person's appetite. In addition, blood pressure returned to normal, which, due to the saturation of neurons with oxygen and blood flow to the brain, causes tinnitus.|
|Fourth day||Circulation returns to normal. The mucous membrane of the digestive tract regenerates, the pancreas begins to function normally. Sticky sputum comes out.|
|Fifth day||An intense wet cough with rusty sputum of soot continues, the taste is restored.|
|Sixth day||An agonizing cough and irritation due to lack of nicotine. There is a desire to go back to smoking.|
|One week||Metabolites and toxins are removed. Organs and tissues have partially recovered or are starting to recover. The liver again synthesizes endogenous nicotine, the physiological need is satisfied. The exhausting cough persists.|
|eighth day||Taste and olfactory receptors are also restored, food acquires meaning, becomes tasty. The person eats a lot and gets better. Vessels are still not stable, jumps in blood pressure are disturbing. Nervousness gradually disappears.|
|ninth day||The stomach has restored the secretion. The intestines are in this process, pain appears in the lower abdomen, problems with stool. At this time, aphthous stomatitis, herpes, acute respiratory infections may develop.|
|Ten days||The cough continues. Immunity starts to recover. The emotional state is difficult. Need help and support from loved ones.|
|11-14 days||Vascular tone is restored, blood flow is normal, due to active oxygen saturation, dizziness and hand tremors occur. The lungs are being cleaned. There are sleep problems.|
|second half of the month||The mucous membranes of the bronchi are regenerated, the coughing subsides, the immune system works at full capacity, the skin acquires a normal tone, the pressure is normal, there is no dyspepsia. Many people decide that it's all over and you can try a cigarette. If that happens, everything goes back to the first few days of withdrawal.|
|next three months||From the second month, the work of the body is leveled. Systems work in harmony. Toxins are eliminated in all natural ways. Hair, skin, nails look much better. The lungs continue to recover. Metabolism and blood pressure normalize, weight stabilizes. But abstinence is still felt.|
|half year||The hematopoietic system was completely restored. The cough stops. Sleep is normal. The liver was regenerated. To speed up the cleansing of the lungs, physical exercises are on.|
|ten months||This is a milestone when a breakdown is possible due to the fact that: smokers begin to dream about cigarettes, in the morning there is a strong desire to taste a tobacco product, sleep is disturbed. Therefore, there is a restructuring of brain activity without nicotine. Here, the ligaments are restored, the voice acquires its usual timbre. Teeth whiten, bad breath disappears.|
|Year||Almost all organs and tissues are upgraded. The lungs may still be in the process of recovery. Potency is excellent, reproductive function is normal. Almost no desire to smoke. "Tobacco diseases" disappear.|
|Two years||The lungs recovered. The brain is eating well. The body is so pure that an accidentally smoked cigarette will be perceived as being smoked for the first time. You can plan a pregnancy.|
|Five years||The risk of stroke is compared with non-smokers.|
|Decade||The probability of developing lung cancer is the same as someone who has never put a cigarette in their mouth.|
|Fifteen years||The risk of heart attack is compared with non-smokers.|
Many changes in the body are not subject to restoration and, over time, become triggers for cellular malignancy.
- Destruction of the alveoli of the lungs, unable to get rid of resins and carcinogens.
- A long-term non-regenerative burn of the oral mucosa, capable of turning into hyperplasia and lip cancer.
- Toxic damage to the oropharynx resulting in cancer of the larynx, throat.
Warning: what not to do?
It is not recommended in the first three months of parting with a bad habit:
- Take unnecessary medications.
- Stop smoking during menstruation - real weight gain is guaranteed.
- Leave the diet unchanged. The body needs vitamins and minerals.
quit smoking calendar
To help everyone who decides to break free from nicotine bondage, psychologists recommend keeping a proper journal of your feelings, emotions, and thoughts.
The structure of these records consists of several sections:
- The first is dedicated to the changes that occur in the body every day. Describes in detail the disappearance of tobacco poisoning symptoms related to each system: nervous, cardiovascular, digestive, pulmonary, endocrine, reproductive, genitourinary. In addition, the emergence of new symptoms, both negative and positive, is noted in the dynamics.
- The second is for emotions, thoughts. Here, an analysis is carried out at the sensory level of everything that happens to the patient, self-hypnosis, self-control are used.
- The third section is physiology. What attracts the patient, what do you want to eat, where it hurts, what kind of sleep, what the skin is like, the degree of shortness of breath and the severity of the cough. Everything that concerns at the level of physiological transformation.
- The fourth section is the doctors' recommendations and how they are implemented.
- Fifth - recipes of traditional medicine and their use.
- The sixth is exercise, what works, what doesn't, the result.
- The seventh section is help from loved ones. Your advice, requests for them. Planning strategy and behavior tactics for the future.
Many who have separated from a harmful addiction emphasize the usefulness and necessity of such a journal.
How to speed up cleaning?
Although the body is a self-regulating system, there are ways to speed up the recovery process from nicotine poisoning:
- Sport. Movement is life, so measured physical activity is shown to smokers from the first day of parting with a bad habit. Running, for example, will strengthen the contractions of the diaphragm, stimulate lymphatic flow, that is, help to remove poisons from the body. Cardio load will also affect the blood. Breathing exercises saturate the lungs with oxygen and help them cleanse themselves of resins, carcinogens, and toxins. Feeling much better.
- Cleansing medications. Ascorbic acid, B vitamins, folic acid make up for the lack of trace elements and biologically active substances necessary for normal metabolic processes. Help them with this: chromium, zinc, nickel, selenium, manganese. Amino acids will support immunoglobulin synthesis. Vitamin A will act as an immunostimulant.
- Food products. Cranberries, ginger, spinach are natural stimulants of hematopoiesis and blood supply to the lungs in the recovery process.
Here are many helpers that can ease the difficult process of saying goodbye to nicotine, restore health and prolong life.